Taking your baby on a day-long outing can seem like an intimidating task, but the truth is, it doesn't have to be! With the right plan of attack, you can make sure that your little one has everything they need for an enjoyable and stress-free day out.
In this post, we'll break down the essentials in your diaper bag for a perfect day out with your baby. We've got you covered, from nursing covers and teething relief to your favorite toys and books!
Essentials: Diapers, Wipes, and Changing Pad
This is the holy trinity of the diaper bag – an absolute must for your day out with your baby. On the day of your outing, make sure to grab backup diapers and wipes—it's always best to be prepared for any surprises!
You'll also need a changing pad, either disposable or washable. A lightweight roll-up changing mat is easy to carry and takes up minimal space in your diaper bag. Or you can opt for a diaper bag that already has a built-in one so you won’t forget to bring it along.
Must-Haves: Bottles/Sippers, Snacks & Bibs
When you’re out and about with your little one, having all the necessary items packed away in a reliable carry-all diaper bag will ease your stress levels and ensure an enjoyable day for you both. Make sure to keep your child hydrated and fed throughout the day by bringing along enough bottles/sippers and snacks as needed. Quality snacks such as whole-grain crackers should be included since they are full of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and healthy fats.
Bibs not only protect your baby’s clothing from getting dirty or wet, but they will also keep their skin dry. If you prefer not to bring a plastic bib, opt for ones that can easily be thrown into the washing machine after use.
Comfort Items: Cloth/Muslin Blankets & Pacifiers
Since you don't know how the day will go, having some comfort items handy is essential to your baby's well-being. Cloth/muslin blankets are super soft and perfect for draping over your baby in the stroller or as a makeshift play mat. They're lightweight and easy to carry, just make sure your diaper bag has enough room like our spacious travel diaper bag.
Pacifiers are another great comfort item to have with you when you're out and about with your baby. Not only do pacifiers help soothe your little one, but they can also act as a distraction when nap time rolls around or if you need a few extra minutes in line at the store.
Entertainment Items: Toys, Books & Teethers
You never know when your baby might get bored or grumpy during your day out, so it’s important to pack some entertainment items in your diaper bag.
- Toys: Their favorite toys keep them amused - a soft toy for cuddling, a ball for throwing, or anything else that will catch their interest. They help pass the time as well as provide your baby with sensory stimulation and learning opportunities!
- Books: Pack a few books with bright illustrations, simple words and fun rhymes that will capture their attention and make storytime more enjoyable!
- Teethers & Rattles: Having something to chew on helps soothe sore gums while new teeth are growing in - like teethers, rattles or even cold fruits like apples or cucumbers.
Safety Items: Sunscreen & Insect Repellent
Now that your diaper bag is packed with all the essentials, you may be wondering what else you need to keep your baby safe from the elements. In addition to a hat and some extra layers for cooler days, make sure you also have these:
- Sunscreen: Make sure that your little one's skin is protected while they’re enjoying the outdoors, so opt for a mild baby-friendly sunscreen that won't irritate their sensitive skin. We recommend one with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Insect Repellent: Carry insect repellent in case your outing takes you close to any water sources or wooded areas - these are prime breeding grounds for all sorts of bugs! Make sure that this too is baby-friendly and suitable for sensitive skin - it might also be natural if possible.
Extras: Extra Outfit, First Aid Kit & Hand Sanitizer
You may not have considered it, but there are a few extras you should have in your diaper bag that can make a day out with your baby much more enjoyable. Nothing is worse than a diaper blow-out when you're miles away from home so, having an extra outfit on hand can help you deal with it quickly and get back to having fun in no time.
It's always best to be prepared for small accidents that can happen when you're outdoors with little ones. Even with the most vigilant of parents, small burns, cuts, or scrapes can occur, thus having a first aid kit for minor emergencies can come in handy. And don't forget about hand sanitizer - it's important to keep your hands free from germs and bacteria when handling baby items all day.
Having all the essentials packed in your diaper bag can ensure that you and your little one are ready for all sorts of adventures. Make sure you have everything you need for a fun day out, from diapers and wipes to games and snacks. It's also crucial to have a reliable diaper bag to store all of these necessities. Check out our selection of diaper bags to make traveling with your tiny tot a breeze!